Sunday, October 29, 2006

The Four Day Old...


Well, we're finally home now. As I write this, my son and I are sitting on the couch watching the Bengal's, both of us yearning for a bottle. Rachel just got out of the shower and has announced that she "Officially feels new again." It feels so good to be home from the hospital.

The first night home was great. We didn't get much sleep, but that's par for the course. Tenzin slept a good one to two hours at a time…not bad for a newborn. His appetite is amazing. It appears as though we come into the world with a craving for the boob, and it doesn't seem to diminish with age. He's feeding regularly now, about once every hour or two. We had five dirty diapers in the last 24 hours, so it looks like we're right on track. Rachel, or should I say Booby McBooberson, is also discovering the wondrous side effects of breastfeeding. Milk enhancement seems to be a much cheaper and effective way to increase your bust. Her enjoyment of these new "gifts," however, is not what you think it would be. These new "babies" are causing some unwanted discomfort. Nevertheless, I will continue to enjoy them for both of us.

Rachel and I have spent a lot of time with our noses deep in books. You can do everything you can to prepare yourself for this moment, but there's still so much to learn. Tenzin takes after his dad, and seems to be the gassiest baby on the planet. It's led to many cases of hiccups and toots, none of which make him a very happy baby. So we’ve jumped from chapter to chapter trying to find a way to alleviate the problem. It's not the easiest to burp a newborn when he doesn't have any neck muscles. You always feel like every position you put him in is uncomfortable. My sister, Sarah, has given us some great pointers. We'll try them out tonight and see how they go.

I never thought I would say this, but the poop is amazing! It's very alien, with little green and black presents at every turn. For somebody that doesn't have any muscle generation, he sure does know how to push them out with force. Baby body + man butt = interesting 3:00 am changings. I'm still on edge at the changing table, ready to duck and cover when needed. I've already received a yellow gift on a t-shirt. Let's try and keep that to a minimum.

The friends and family have been absolutely awesome. We can't even begin to say how thankful we are that we have such an excellent support system. We came home yesterday to a clean house, folded laundry, and ready-made meals in the fridge. With Tenzin coming as early as he did, we can easily say that a lot of household things were left unprepared. We're even driving my mom's car, seeing as we were waiting till the end of the month "deals" before we bought a car. I'm looking forward to finally getting our own ride, considering I love car dealers soooo much. I know not all of them are bad, but let's just say that the good ones are few and far between. We're still trying to decide between a Honda element and a Chrysler Pacifica. We're weighing closer to the Honda, just because of resale and reliability. And yes, the minivans are still out of the question. We may have started a family, but we'll never be ready for the family-mobile (please feel free to remind me of this 10 years from now when I'm bragging about the gas mileage on my Odyssey or Caravan).

No comments: