Tuesday, November 21, 2006

The Name, Tenzin...

I was online and ran across this:

"Sleep is the best meditation." -H.H. The XIV Dalai Lama

Oh, the irony.

______________________

OK, so many of you have inquired as to the origin of the name "Tenzin." I'd like to explain, but I'm not quite sure where to begin...


For quite some time now, Rachel and I have been studying Buddhism. Our interest in the thought and principles behind the ideas of compassion and non-violence have led us on a pursuit for something more...not in a religious sense of "more," but a study for knowledge and understanding. It's not that Buddhism was a deviation away from our previous religious pursuits, but rather a need to understand Buddhism given the current state of affairs. Simply put, studying peace just sounded good! As a result, our recent studies have allowed us a lot of social and personal reflection.

Tenzin's name:

We do not necessarily consider the name "Tenzin" to be Buddhist, but more of an homage to an amazing person. It comes from Tenzin Gyatso, the fourteenth reincarnation of the Dalai Lama. As leader of the Tibetan people, he has bared witness to many different extremes of enlightenment and suffering.

Persectued by the Chinese government in 1958, the Dalai Lama was forced to live in exile. He later witnessed numerous deaths of his colleagues and countrymen, but the Dalai Lama has endured, continuing to advocate the Buddhist principles of non-violence and compassion in the face of hatred. On December 10th, 1989, the Dalai Lama was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize.

Rachel and I could not think of a more inspirational figure in which to name our son. I encourage you all to study his teachings, but take them as such. They are, in his own words, just teachings.

"My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness." -H.H. the XIV Dalai Lama
Media:

For a more Hollywood synopsis of the life of the Dalai Lama, try renting Kundun or Seven Years in Tibet. Or, there are many excellent documentaries that chronicle the struggle of the Tibetan people (Tibet: Cry of the Snow Lion, On Life and Enlightenment)

For me - I know, hindsight is 20/20 - this [click here] was the essay that truly inspired me. The Dalai Lama gave a very poignant and cautious speech concerning the US response following 9/11. I won't summarize it, but I encourage everyone to read it.

No comments: